Monday, September 19, 2005

Of bathtubs and more...

What is it about bathtubs and Archimedes? Can't think of one without the dude and his damn crazy invention popping to mind!

Anyways, started thinking of bathtubs after seeing the Lux ad recently. SRK as usual was trying to sell something - only this time I wasn't sure I wanted to buy!

Who on earth thought of the concept man? SRK in a bathtub surrounded by ageing / passe (being extremely polite I am) heroines. Man! The things these ad guys come up with. I was horrfied coz knowing SRK and his penchant for pulling the heroine roughly towards himself (a la M&B style) i thought it was Madame Basanti's turn! Shudder, shudder! Wonder what she would have said though? Hat SRK! Tere Basanti ke izzat ka sawaal hai?!

Anyways, then appeared Ms. India...all smouldering looks and all. Completely out of turn coz SRK is always the one who smoulders...never the heroine. She's just supposed to simper. So i said to myself "Uh-oh, script going awry...".
And then, as if to assuage surprised me, came the simper-er (if such a word exists) of them all - Ms. Kapoor of course.

And she simpered away non-stop, but the camera moved to SRK who was trying desperately to work some magic with such a motley crew and was almost succeeding.

Anyways, my hat off to SRK! He always wins. He says 'Lux is the secret of my charm / beauty...whatever'. And one believes him!!!

Boy, can the man sell or what?!

Anyways, the horrid execution notwithstanding, i think this will definitely work for Lux.

The guys will lap up Lux believing that it will help them stammer out their wives name (to help their wives achieve delirious delight) and the women will believe that now they have the Badshah of romance all over them...well, that's what Lux is all about right?

Selling you dreams...and how!

10 Comments:

Anonymous sanvesh said...

Good follow up! I thought you would write something more about the Chappell - Ganguly spat.
But this was also very entertaining. And you are right. I found a whole pack of Lux (about 6 pieces) in our groceries this month. Wife's dreaming of SRK. Aaargh! Or should that be A-A-Aargh?!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous riff-raff said...

Tara, you are motivating me also to start blogging. I keep thinking i must do it but never get around to it. I am an avid blog reader though.
I agree with you. blogging is wonderful because it allows you to express an opinion to the world at large even though there may not be an immediate recipient of that view.
Loving your posts. Keep them coming!
By the way, i too love Andaaz apna apna. difficult to find people who say things other than sholay etc. Liked your selection of movies.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous sanjay said...

Read your latest. Nice. Lol when i read that bit about SRK and Basanti.
Looks like you are also a movie fan huh? Not just cricket. What's going to be the next topic?

By the way, i too am from bangalore. Where do you work?

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anisha said...

Gosh!Wat fun this piece was .
I wonder what you'll have to say once you see the new pepsi ad (with SRK as a pied piper) :))

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anmol said...

Yeah...the Pepsi ad is hilarious. Not because of the script but because of SRK's hairdo. looks like the rats got to his hair first and inspired him to become the Peid piper of Pepsi land.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous sanvesh said...

Tara, i just saw the ad on Tv and could not resist checking out your post again. Oh my god! It was too funny!
Shahrukh is looking so gay! He beats KJ hollow. your post really captures things very well. Even the nuances. You watched the ad a hundred times?
My wife's well on her way to 50. She looks at me differently now.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous rajeev said...

I saw the pepsi ad. Jesus! What's gobe wrong with SRK? He looks so silly, i was embarrassed on his behalf.

6:12 PM  
Blogger manuscrypts said...

wondering ..coz the last comment i saw on blogosphere about the ad was 'Nothing sux like lux' ..and most people agreed :)

3:14 AM  
Blogger Anjali said...

My god, I finally managed to see the ad and words have completely failed me. What on earth is the man up to, and more importantly what on earth is Unilever up to?!!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous tprabhakar said...

Hi Anjali.
Words falied me too...how on earth did you manage to avoid the ad for so long? God knows, i have tried hard and failed!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home